Drilling Ahead

World Oilfield Forum

What are the requirements of Safety Standards with respect to the use of safety
restraints to secure high pressure treating lines?

If the use of cable type restraints to contain a catastrophic treating line failure
during an energized fluid treatment are mandatory ?

This Video Shows Dangers of Unsecured Chicksans

Examples Of Unsecured Chicksans and Missing Safety Barriers

Also See

Temporary Pipeworks Restraint System

And

Restraint System Selection Guide

Views: 7866

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello ,most service companies I've worked for or been around require the use of the restraints on energized fluid. Depending on the company if it is mandatory,would think using common sense would be the answer for the mandatory part.

I have a couple of papers about it, one from Schlumberger and one from FMC, if you would like I will send to you. The video is an old Dowell video but its the real thing. Think to many people think these restraints should be required on fluid pumping as well, one more time common sense.

After you read the letter from FMC, use your thinking. Back in the late 60's and early 70's yes we did need this for fluid pumping, but today with the standards all of the companies go by & the way the treating iron is designed doesn't seem like they are needed.

All in training of employes seems to work best.

Hello, I will be appreciated  if you send me the papers from Schlumberger and FMC and we will discuss later

Hello

here are the two letters.

Woody

Attachments:

Khaled Halliburton has quit put cables restraints on the high pressure discharge lines . They said it has it does more damage with them on .

Thanks woody for the letters of Schlumberger and FMC however I would like to highlight about the following standards , API RP54 for occupational safety for oil and gas well drilling and servicing operations item 9.13.3"each sections of high pressure rigid line should be secured using appropriate means to prevent movement should the line fail.Flexible high pressure hoses should be properly secured to prevent unsafe movement---etc "Shell Global Standard For Temporary Pipework EP2006-5393 item 5.5.7 "Temporary pipework shall be tied down to effectively restrain the consequential effect of pipe burst. The restraint system shall be sufficiently strong to handle the forces for the system fluids and pressures given in the attached table - Please see attachment (dynamic load of restraints).On the other hand , FMC Technologies announced the introduction of the new temporary pipe work - Restraint System (TRP System) for use on high pressure temporary well services flow lines This system will provide an additional level of protection for personnel and physical assets by minimizing the amount of sudden movement should there be an unexpected separation in a flow line which under pressure. Please see attachment for TPR System April 2009.

Personally I am in favor of having a safety wire in place

Testing and inspection of HP lines are not enough to be a proactive measure to reduce the risk of failure of high pressure treating lines? e.g use all Chicksans are above minimum wall thickness , all welds are X- ray and MPI inspected , no threaded connections are used and all hammer union are 1502 only

Attachments:

Well guys, I have read the comments and all are interesting.

To get your answer, look into the API well control standards. You will see where the shall stops and the industry's best practices begin.

Many operators have made ALL of this their company's standard. I read mention of Shell E & P. Many others than Shell have made this topic a SHALL in their standard.

Many company's are getting away from cable restaints and using the rib and spine application. We have had safety alerts where the manufactuer has mis labeled a union, causing it to part. Some threads will make up, but not properly. Not all people have the ability to catch this, so guages are being made to engineer out this hazard.  All high pressure iron is being anchored as well, to follow the API standard in well control.

The majors, large independants, small independants have been gathering our industry's best practices from across the globe and making it their company standard.

Hi Russell

I agree with you about some threads will make up , but not properly . e.g A 2” 1502 Wing Nut will make up to a 2” 602or 1002 thread half but will fail …

A 2” 1502 Wing Nut will make up to a 2” 602 or 1002 thread half and will hold some pressure ! However … … it will fail

Also off brand unions may not hold rated pressure

Finally Like 1002 and 602 Unions, a Guiberson thread half will make up to a 1502 wing nut, but will fail explosively.

RSS

Oilfield Gifts

Oilfield Drill Pipe Tally Books

Oilfield Jewelry Drill Pipe Elevators

Oil and gas Gift Pump Jack Music Box

Oilfield Keychains

© 2014   Created by Drilling Ahead.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service